• Xewkija Primary School
    0 reviews

  • The Xewkija Primary School opened its doors in a house in Triq Santa Katerina on 2nd December, 1861 with Emanuele Montanaro as the first headmaster. It catered for boys only. In 1862, a second school was opened for girls with Carmela Bonello as first headmistress. In 1937, both schools weMs Rose Magrore moved to two different premises in Triq it-Tigrija (today known as Triq l-Indipendenza). By the early 1950's, there were no less than seven houses used as temporary schools. On 24th October, 1955, the Government began the building of a spacious modern school in Triq il-Hamrija (Soil Street). All infant and primary boys and girls of Xewkija assembled for the first time in the new school in 31st March 1958. On 25th March 1999, the primary school was renamed Rosa Magro, a former headmistress and philanthropist from Xewkija (born 23rd December, 1899 and died 1st May, 1968).

    In the late 1960's, as the number of pupils had dwindled, the authorities decided to transform part of the primary school building into a secondary school for boys from the western part of Gozo. It was opened as the St. Joseph Secondary School on 23rd September 1970 and served this purpose until June 1977. A year later, on 19th September 1978, the same wing was transformed into a farming school, called the Agricultural Training Centre. This was in turn closed down in June 2003, the wing began to house a section of the MCAST, the Malta College of Arts, Science, and Technology, based in Xaghra.

    The village school always had a small library for the commodity of its teachers and pupils. In 2002, the Local Council took over the running and the administration of the library. Its premises within the primary school were completely renovated and it was inaugurated as the Xewkija Public Library by the mayor on 23rd November, 2002

  • reviews

    (0 reviews)

    Give us a rating