Għasri (or L-Għasri) is a village in the western part of Gozo (Malta), with a population of 515 people as of March 2013. By population it is the smallest village in Gozo, and the third smallest in the Maltese Islands, after Bidnija and Mdina. Għasri does however has a relatively large area.
The village lies between the hills of Żebbuġ and Għammar. The name has Arabic origins, possibly being an area where olives were crushed for oil. Għasri is reached by forking right on the Victoria-Għarb road just after the Aqueduct.
A lighthouse on Ġurdan hill, better known as the Giordan Lighthouse dominates Għasri. The famous lighthouse rises 180 metres above sea level and was inaugurated in 1853. Its beam can be seen up to 50 kilometres away. Upon the hill around the lighthouse there are some marvellous 360 degree views of Gozo and this lures quite a lot of hikers, who tackle the rather steep path up to the hilltop.
A view of the Gurdan Lighthouse.
From the Village Square, a road leads to the fabulous valley of Wied il-Għasri. On the way, there are a number of typical farmhouses, most of them available for short or long lets, as well as an old charming chapel dedicated to the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Wied il-Għasri area is a marvellous country walk or cycling site especially in Winter and Spring. The valley ends in the sea, wedged between high cliffs where a secluded little inlet makes it ideal for swimming, snorkelling and diving. Indeed, the sea around Wied il-Għasri is very popular among divers. In Għasri valley one can find some saltpans.
The village church, designed by a local priest, Dun Ġużepp Diacono, was built early in the twentieth century. Its foundation stone was laid on 6 September 1903 and it was dedicated to the Corpus Christi on 9 January 1916 and later on to Christ the Saviour. The village was established a parish by Bishop Giovanni Maria Camilleri on 16 December 1921.
Give us a rating