Il-Fontana is a village on Gozo Island, Malta, with a population of 993 people as of March 2013.
Fontana originated from the suburb of Victoria on the Rabat-Xlendi road. Its local name is "It-Triq tal-Għajn", (the way to the spring), and it took its name from a spring at the bottom of the road leading to Xlendi, known locally as "l-Għajn il-Kbira", (the big spring). Fontana is the Italian word for a spring.
On the lower part of Fontana, on the right-hand side of the road to Xlendi, one cannot help but notice the evergreen Lunzjata Valley going up to the village of Kerċem. Local farmers are busy around all year long in this fertile part of Gozo.
Most of the fishermen that operated from the fishing village of Xlendi lived in Fontana. Also some other people used to go hunting in the adjacent Lunzjata Valley. Late in the nineteenth century, they began setting aside part of the proceeds from their catches to construct a church.
The Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Fontana
At times, people can still be found washing their clothes at the Fontana spring.
The foundation stone of the church was laid on 29 January 1893. The church was consecrated twelve years to that day on 29 January 1905, and was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The church was established as the parish of Fontana on 27 March 1911 under Bishop Giovanni Maria Camilleri. The spectacular village feast is celebrated each year around the 2nd and 3rd week of June. The Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Fontana is also a parish church, and considered to be a national sanctuary of the Sacred Heart.
Give us a rating