• 774

    Church of St. Gregory the Great
    0 reviews

  • The parish church of Ta' Kerċem is the only church in Gozo which is jointly dedicated to two saints – St Gregory and Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

    The village here originally grew up around a chapel dedicated to Pope St. Gregory the Great built around 1581. The site gained prominance due to the annual traditional St. Gregory procession from the Mother Church in ir-Rabat (Victoria) to this chapel, on the saint's feast, 12th March.

    The chapel was however replaced by the present parish church in 1851 and this was in turn enlarged in 1906-10 taking on its present form, Ta’ Kerċem became a distinct parish in 1885 and later the same the same year, the church was co-dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

    With two patron saints, the village has two festas, that of St Gregory in March and the (nowadays rather larger) feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help on the second Sunday of July

    Source: www.visitgozo.com

  • PHOTO GALLERY

  • Ratings

    0.0
    (0 ratings)

    Give us a rating