• 762

    Annunciation of Our Lady
    0 reviews

  • In 1370 the chapel dedicated to the Annunciation of Our Lady in Lunzjata became part of a royal benefice administered by the Aragonese king from Sicily and later by the Grand Master of the Order of St. John in Malta.

    The present chapel in Lunzjata was rebuilt early in the 18th century, although some parts of it had to be reconstructed after the Second World War.

    The main altarpiece was painted by Fra Lucas Garnier and it is the only painting by this artist in Gozo. It is also one of the very few existing in Malta. This replaced an earlier painting by Bartolomeo Garagona (1584-1614).

    The chapel, partly triglodytic, still retains some features typical of late medieval chapels.

    In 1954 Joseph Farrugia donated a statue of the Annunciation of Our Lady to the chapel. This was sculpted by the Gozitan artist Wistin Camilleri Cauchi (1885-1979).

    Source: http://gozochurches.com/

  • PHOTO GALLERY

  • Ratings

    0.0
    (0 ratings)

    Give us a rating